Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 2

(Written July 7th)

I have officaly ran out of peanut butter. I am really regretting bring the extra shoes instead of peanut butter. I found one store that sells it here but it is about 6 US dollars for half a jar. I got to start digging this week. We spent last week learning how to screen soil removed from units and observing experieced excavators.

On Saturday we had a big 4th of July party at our professors house here in Moquegua. Her house is really nice and has some great views of the city. Another field school from the area was there. The food at party was awesome. There was chicken, potato salad, and some really good sauage I couldn´t get enough of.

Sunday we had a lab about botanical remains found in an archaeological context. The concept and significance of it all was interesting but the process of analyzing involves staring at super small soil grains looking for what might be plant remains...fun.

Monday I went out to dinner with a friend. We got, what was explained to me as, cow heart kabobs. I was a little weirded out but it ended up being some of the best meat I have ever had. After we got some pisco sours, which is a drink specific to Peru.

Tomorrow I am going to finish up excavating the 1 by 1 meter square I started Monday. So far digging has been the most interesting part. This weekend we are going to Ilo, which is near the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment