Sunday, April 29, 2012

Going Back

          In a little more than 2 weeks I am headed back to Peru for the summer. I knew about 2 weeks after returning last summer that I wanted to go back again. Last year was a great experience for me and really helped me to make up my mind that archaeology is in fact what I want to be doing with my education.

          This summer is going to be a lot different than last year. I am still going to be staying in the same city, Moquegua, and working with the same professors but this time I am going for the whole summer. I fly out May 14th and Leave Peru August 7th. The first half I will be working in the field at a couple of different sites to get some more excavating experience. The second half I am going to be working in the Lab at Museo Contisuyo in Moquegua analyzing faunal remains from Tiwanaku sites. Zooarchaeology being what I want to focus on after undergrad, I am excited to have this opportunity. I am also funded this summer by a couple of different sources. I am going to be working on the research portion of what will become my Undergraduate Honors Thesis Project which I hope to present at a conference as well as submit for publishing during the spring of my senior year. Since last year I have taken 2 semesters of Spanish. In the grand scheme of things I know that 2 semesters is not a lot of experience at all but I am hoping that I will feel more comfortable practicing Spanish this summer and return speaking more Spanish then when I left.

          The 2nd of May marks my last day of finals. Until then I am in crunch mode. I have one paper and one exam left. After that I have a couple of days to relax, say goodbye to everyone and move out of my apartment. Then I head home for a week to see my family, minus my currently in Europe sister. I am excited for the adventures and experiences that lie in front of me. My goal and hope is to keep this blog updated more regularly this time around to keep everyone back at home updated on how my summer is going. My address will be the same this summer:
Jennifer Grenier
c/o Proyecto Cerro Mejia
Museo Contisuyo
Jr. Tacna 294
Moquegua, Peru
(2 pound weight limit please or I will be charged a duty tax) I am also, as always, acessable though email jags8191@gmail.com

1 comment: