Thursday, May 31, 2012


I have been in Peru for just over two weeks now. Two of our TA's and one more student joined us this past weekend. We are now all in the Field house. It is the same house from last week. It is nice now with just the 6 of us in the house. It is going to be hectic once everyone is here though. I am enjoying the quite while I can.
      Last weekend we got to go to a Horse show. It was an interesting experience. The horses walk in a unique way. It looked kind of like dancing. The pick their hooves up really high. The riders also dressed up in tradition peruvian clothes and rode these fancy saddles. We got served pisco while watching and then had lunch there.
     Monday we started to excavate at a site called Colorade Magote. Over the summer we are going to be at a number of different sites. This one is the furthest away from Moquegua. There has been a lot more rain this year than normally. I was surprised at how green every thing is. This also means there are a lot more catus's which have a habit of attaching them selves to everything. It has been nice to be excavating again but will take a couple of more days to get used to the schedule again.
      I started my lab work this week too. I wrote up the standard forms I am going to be using and got to start pulling out the bones I am going to be looking at. Right now I am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of material there is for me to look at. I predict some late nights in the lab this summer. I am sure by the time I go home I will know a lot more about faunal analysis than when I left.  

here are some more pictures:



No comments:

Post a Comment